Tuesday, July 11, 2006

World Cup Finale



So after a month of drinking, tipping competitions, English flags adorning every council estate and car in the land, snakebites at Australian pubs and diving Italians and Portuguese - the world cup has finally come to an end. The tournament was fantastic, dull, enthralling and heart-breaking. We celebrated the final by watching the game and having a BBQ on our condemned roof terrace (it's currently on death row with no final date for execution). Nicole and I were joined by Jess, Mike, Emmet and more than a few bottles of wine (photos above and below). We were all hoping for a French victory however Nicole's genes kicked in before the penalties and she switched back to supporting the Italians. After the game when we were all a bit merry so we decided to head to The Two Brewers to continue the 'celebrations'.



The anniversary of the July 7 bombings on Friday was an odd day. I got the tube to King's Cross and as I missed breakfast I quickly ran to grab a McMuffin. Once I walked out of the station I was met by a gazillion cameras and the whole media circus. There had just been a memorial service and people were still laying flowers - I think however there were more media personnel than there were members of the public. As it happened I had to go through the station numerous times that day because of our clinic down there. The police presence was a little over the top - I know people need to be reassured but I counted 16 police (in groups of 2 or 3) walk past us in a 5 min journey - with sniffer dogs etc. We had a 2 minute silence at midday and other than that the day went along quite normally. It think the organisation of small services was a quiet dignified recognition of what happened.

That other sporting competition (Wimbledon) ended on Sunday. I was most pleased to see Amelie Mauresmo shake off the reputation of a choker and claim the title - unfortunately it seems she received little recognition of her grand feat in France - too preoccupied by the world cup it seems. Something I must admit I've been a little guilty of as well. So it's back to normality!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home